The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has published a revised version of the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. By January 22, 2017, employers must use only the new version, dated 11/04/2016.
Among the changes in the new version, Section 1 asks for the "other last names used," and streamlines certification for certain foreign nationals.
Other changes include:
- The addition of prompts to ensure information is entered correctly.
- The ability to enter multiple preparers and translators.
- A dedicated area for including additional information rather than having to add it in the margins.
- A supplemental page for the preparer/translator.
- The instructions have been separated from the form, in line with other USCIS forms, and include specific instructions for completing each field.
- Enhanced form completion using a computer, including drop-down menus, calendars, and on-screen instructions.
You can find the form and additional information on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website.